Reports: to Country Manager
Team: 2-3 people (Comms, Events and Community Engagement Managers)
Wayra is looking for a new Head of Marketing and Community Engagement to join us immediately. It is a crucial role for the company, and the new person will be responsible for Wayra's overall Marketing strategy and activities, including communication planning, content, media, events and PR external relationship.
In line with strategic changes, Wayra UK is working towards repositioning its brand as an open innovation hub focusing on more mature start-ups and whose main objective is to develop business opportunities between the start-ups and Telefónica (and other partners).
We also want to grow our community (followers on social media channels, site traffic, subscribers to the newsletter, interest from external publishers, e.g. tech journalists) and have much more engagement.
The Head of Marketing and Community will drive forward the strategy and activities that will build the Wayra brand and its new positioning as well as ensure the communication and events regarding Wayra programmes are implemented simultaneously and in parallel with the branding and positioning for Wayra.
You'll report into our Country Manager, will manage a team of 2-3 people and will play a core role in driving Wayra image and the quality of start-ups interested in joining our community.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Line manage the Comms & Community Engagement managers
- Develop and implement Wayra UK marketing and comms strategy in line with Global Comms
- Ensure Wayra UK content is relevant and updated, by working with Comms & Community Engagement Manager with regards the website, content calendar for all defined Wayra channels, content creation, social media, as well as the monthly and investors newsletters
- Work with Comms & Community Engagement Manager, and Wayra's programme managers to develop and execute tailored Comms plans for all Wayra's programmes.
- Responsible for Wayra UK internal comms: platforms and best practices and deployment of global or new tools. Define brand & comms materials & presentations for the team (Welcome packs and Collateral Materials and Playbook)
- Create and manage PR strategies and relationship with journalists
- Identify the critical information that will leverage Wayra importance in a press release and write/cowrite press releases to be published into the website and the national tech press.
- Develop and manage the relationship with influential journalists to promote our content and develop media exposure for Wayra
- Support Wayra UK portfolio of start-ups in communicating their businesses properly. Generate media exposure for the start-ups
- Own the relationship with Corporate and Global Comms. Work together with Wayra Hubs in other countries and with Wayra Global to align comms and to share best practices
- Position Wayra UK as a thought leader in the local ecosystem in innovation, start-ups and corporate venturing topics
- Line manage the Events Manager
- Develop the events strategy with specific events that will leverage Wayra positioning and build community. Work with Events Manager to execute our event strategy and make sure we follow a consistent positioning and high standards across all our events (Including strategy for sponsorship and event participation)
- Define specific events creation and own the delivery of non-programme events to engage with other stakeholder groups such as investors, mentors, partners, start-ups and O2 and Telefonica Key stakeholders
- Develop, in coordination with all other relevant areas (Acceleration, Scouting and VC Relations, FIT, etc.) our annual calendar of events
- Align Events and Comms with the leadership team. Ensure the Comms & Community Manager and Events Manager communicate the events well in advance to the relevant stakeholders and promote through the appropriate channels
- Represent Wayra with Country Manager in selected events that strategically raise the name of Wayra in the market as well as engage and build community
- Manage and control the events budget, always maximising and bring efficiencies without compromising on quality. Ensure Events Manager delivers efficiencies/quality through appropriated chosen suppliers
- Create and implement strategies to increase entrepreneurs, investors, ecosystem partners, mentors, corporate sponsors (O2 & Telefonica), university leaders, etc. engagement with Wayra and form a living group with a real sense of community. Advance, inspire and encourage the entrepreneurial spirit throughout the community through your daily actions
- Ensure Comms & Community Engagement Manager creates and maintains communication platform for our community members (e.g. slack channel)
- Ensure Marketing achieve the set goal according to NPS measurement on an annual basis by Implement our Shapers Plan and reach the desired level of engagement
- Ensure the team develops metrics and track success/performance for programmes and overall Wayra marketing activities
- Ensure leadership in the UK and Wayra Global is continuously informed and updated with Strategy implementation progress
- Ensure the team is continuously on track with their personal KPIs and OKRs to ensure they deliver and develop as well in their roles
- Proven experience in marketing and communications in leadership roles
- Network of relevant journalists and stakeholders in tech and entrepreneurial media
- Experience managing social media profiles and creating content for brands; quantified results of growing social media and communication channel using content strategy.
- Passion for technology and innovation.
- Experience working with start-ups
- Experience in working and engaging partners, managing and scaling a relationship with partners. Leveraging partnerships.
- Digital Media experience and background
- Experience managing people
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Fluent in English (oral and written). Spanish is a plus.
- Exceptional writing skills
- Be strategical, creative, and a great team player
- Be proactive and hands-on
- Available to participate in evening's network events
- Available to travel nationally and internationally
Wayra is the most global, connected and technological open innovation hub in the world.
Wayra UK brings world-class start-ups to Telefónica globally and O2 locally to find new sources of revenue and innovation. We work with Telefonica / O2 to democratise entrepreneurship and to scale start-ups by facilitating the UK's largest network of innovation hubs, all done in coordination with world-class partners.
Wayra provides unparalleled access to networks and capital that turn start-ups into scale-ups. Our 194 portfolio companies have a combined valuation of over $1.1 billion and have generated $20 million in revenue via contracts with Telefónica. In addition to our main London programme and the investee companies, we facilitate a network of 6 additional programmes throughout the UK that have supported 100+ companies.
To apply, please send your CV to: recruitment_UK@wayra.org