July 23, 2020
Wayra is the most global, connected and technological open innovation hub in the world.
Wayra UK brings world-class start-ups to Telefónica globally and O2 locally with the aim of finding new sources of revenue and innovation. We work with Telefonica / O2 to democratise entrepreneurship and to scale start-ups by facilitating the UK’s largest network of innovation hubs, all done in coordination with world-class partners.
Wayra provides unparalleled access to networks and capital that turn start-ups into scale-ups. Our 194 portfolio companies have a combined valuation of over $1.1 billion and have generated $20 million in revenue via contracts with Telefónica. In addition to our main London programme and 194 investee companies, we facilitate a network of 4 additional programmes throughout the UK that have supported more than 100 companies.
Wayra is excited to announce a Programme Associate role within our UK team.
You’ll work with some of the world’s leading venture-backed innovative start-ups to support their development and expansion. You will also have the opportunity to meet the programme’s investors, mentors, coaches, and alumni. You will also be a part of Wayra’s tech and social community, both locally and nationally.
The Programme Associate is the core of our Acceleration team and the role is focused in operations and scouting activities. Under the operations focus Programme Associates are responsible for supporting the successful execution of the programme, including scouting support, programme design support, programme delivery duties, administrative and office management duties. In addition, Programme Associate will scout for the best start-ups to join the programme.
While not running a programme, Programme Associate has the responsibilities/objectives to work across the Wayra team to ensure collaboration between the programme and other Wayra teams, such as Investor Relations, Marketing, Events, etc.
Experience with logistics and programme support, as well as familiarity with the early stage venture-backed company ecosystem is preferred.
The selected candidate will be located at our site in Cheltenham and be responsible for ensuring the smooth delivery of our programme activity in the region.
What You’ll Be Doing
• Support the year-round desk research for the scouting process against requirements
- This could include: sourcing companies from the scouting database, doing online research to identify the most appropriate scouting channels, maintaining the online database of scouted companies, preparing information for the weekly/bi-weekly scouting call, reaching out to prospective companies for more information, as needed, and potentially speaking to prospective companies about joining the programme
- This will entail an understanding of a different set of cyber security scouting requirements, as outlined by the programme partners
• Provide support around the organisation of the monthly Assessment Day, namely liaison with companies ahead and throughout the assessment process, liaison with programme partners where further information is required, creation of relevant documentation and tools in support of the Assessment Day
Programme Delivery Support:
• Liaise with start-ups throughout the programme on matters such as scheduling, local ecosystem engagement, ensuring attendance at key events
• Schedule and liaise with external programme partners, such as investors, mentors, coaches, business development partners etc.
• Maintain the online network for existing cohort, e.g., support the creation of clear use cases for this network so start-ups see value e.g. recruitment, queries, share case studies, make new connections
• Maintain the cyber accelerator start-ups (current and alumni) database up to date and engage with programme alumni
• Support with other administrative and programme management activities within Wayra UK, i.e., occasional liaison with Scouting, Events and Comms teams, support in creation of the new programme tools and documents, regular updates of the programme planner, etc
• Look after the day-to-day running of the site in Cheltenham, managing the calendar for the companies, taking care of the daily health and safety responsibilities, visitor management, booking of resources
• Ensure facilities and equipment are working properly (e.g., meeting room equipment, printers, etc.)
• Ensure the smooth running of the office and enable start-ups to have a great experience
Events and Comms:
• Provide support with events, especially the ones organised within Cheltenham and in collaboration with local partners, e.g., help the Events lead to work with start-ups to craft events that help showcase their team and product best, book venues, sort catering, organisation of registration for in person events, calendar invites etc.
• Support the engagement with the local ecosystem and indirectly development of the Cyber ecosystem by facilitating formal and informal gatherings between start-ups, alums, and local actors
• Passionate about new technologies, start-ups, entrepreneurship, venture capital and innovation
• Experience in fast-paced environments with a focus on business operations, project or program management
• Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
• Experience in event planning and event logistics
• Ease with business skills
• Multitask and open-minded worker
• People-oriented, collaborative, creative, supportive and with a great sense of humour
To apply, please send your CV to: recruitment_UK@wayra.org