June 23, 2020
Wayra is the most global, connected and technological open innovation hub in the world.
Wayra UK brings world-class start-ups to Telefónica globally and O2 locally with the aim of finding new sources of revenue and innovation. We work with Telefonica / O2 to democratise entrepreneurship and to scale start-ups by facilitating the UK’s largest network of innovation hubs, all done in coordination with world-class partners.
Wayra provides unparalleled access to networks and capital that turn start-ups into scale-ups. Our 194 portfolio companies have a combined valuation of over $1.1 billion and have generated $20 million in revenue via contracts with Telefónica. In addition to our main London programme and 194 investee companies, we facilitate a network of 4 additional programmes throughout the UK that have supported more than 100 companies.
Wayra is excited to announce a JR Programme Manager (PM) role within our UK team. We are looking for a Programme Managers to lead the implementation of industry led innovation and acceleration programmes in the Midlands region.
You’ll work with some of the world’s leading venture-backed innovative start-ups to support their development and expansion. For each program, you’ll put together three to ten months of intensive programming focused on connecting 6-10 high potential start-ups with Telefónica, O2 and other partners.
The PM is the core of our Acceleration team and the role is focused in operations and scouting activities. Under the operations focus PMs are responsible for ensuring the successful execution of the programme, including administrative duties, budget management and planning, program and mentor scheduling. In addition, PM will scout for the best start-ups to join the programme
While not running a programme, PMs have the responsibilities/objectives to work across the Wayra team to provide mentorship to other PMs, as well as training based on best practices and to design new programmes.
Experience with logistics and event planning, as well as familiarity with the early stage venture-backed company ecosystem is preferred.
The selected candidates will each be located at our sites in either Cheltenham and other locations in England and be responsible for ensuring the smooth delivery of all of our programme activity in the region.
• Scout relevant SMEs, scale-ups and start-ups to join the programme
• Collaborate with multiple internal and external stakeholders, including Wayra's dedicated scouting team to design, develop, adjust and operate the processes by which we scout and collect external innovation ideas for your specific programme
• Work alongside the Wayra comms and events teams to ensure we deliver impactful campaigns and events to attract the best start-ups to join your programme
• Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to understand emerging and relevant technology trends and needs, you can then apply when scouting the start-up market
• Develop and manage relationships with scouting peers at other Telco operators and leading organisations to gain insight/trends on external innovation models, partners and tools
• Build a network of referral partners to exchange relevant deal flow for specific scouting challenges
• Attend ecosystem events maintaining an open dialogue with other programmes in the relevant region
• Partner with the Head of Accelerator Programme (or Head of Acceleration and Partnerships) to design the programme plan and then own the overall responsibility for successful execution of the programme including tracking of key performance metrics, governance and reporting
• Curate a thorough understanding of all participant needs and KPIs for the programme, ensuring these are met via 121 coaching, building their networks of mentors, investors, and other relevant industry stakeholders
• Ensure activities follow our best practices, are delivered according to the plan and capture and address the needs of programme partners and deliver impact to the UK market in accelerating the adoption of advanced digital technologies
• Own the overall logistics and programming of the program, including calendar management (mentors, speakers, corporate partners and events).
• Curate a thorough understanding of all participant needs and KPIs for the programme, ensuring these are met via 121 coaching, building their networks of mentors, investors, and other relevant industry stakeholders Manage Stakeholder relationships management across all programme partners, building a strong relationship between Wayra UK and these partners
• Develop and track quality, operational execution and partner success metrics/KPIs.
• Work across and coordinate with multiple Wayra teams; events, comms, investment, partnerships and open innovation to ensure we are continually building our ecosystem of excellent start-ups.
• Work with the Events Manager to deliver the programme events calendar
• Engage with founders, mentors, and investors to ensure the successful execution of programs.
• Match start-ups & partners through business development - through the detection, analysis and alignment of pain & needs for the partners who engage in the programmes
• Connect programme start-ups with relevant corporates with a view to securing them potential business development opportunities, and encouraging corporates to participate in our programmes
• Share new best practices with the Wayra's team globally as you identify areas for innovation and improvement.
• Represent Wayra in local community, both actively and passively improving our visibility and reputation in the ecosystem
• Service the Wayra family on and off-season: mentor new PMs, assist in other programs, work on strategic initiatives, and develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the Wayra network.
• Over 3 years of experience in fast-paced environments with a focus on business operations, project or program management
• Experience in strategic activities related to the development of markets and clients.
• Experience in open innovation programmes or acceleration programmes in accelerators / micro-vcs.
• Passionate about new technologies, start-ups, entrepreneurship, venture capital and innovation.
• Relevant experience in the entrepreneurship ecosystem and investments. Entrepreneurial experience very valuable (not required)
• Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
• Experience in event planning and event logistics
• Ease with business skills.
• Multitask and open-minded worker
• People-oriented, collaborative, creative, supportive and with a great sense of humour